The east necklace of Downtown links Grand Circus and the stadium area to Greektown along Broadway.
The east necklace contains a sub-district sometimes called the Harmonie Park District, which has taken on the renowned legacy of Detroit's music from 1930s through the 1950s to the present.
The area contains many of the prominent skyscrapers in Detroit, including the Renaissance Center, the Penobscot Building, and the Guardian Building.
The downtown area features high-rise residential living along with a number of parks including those linked by a promenade along the International Riverfront.
The Harmonie Park area ends near Gratiot and Randolph.
The Detroit Athletic Club stands in view of center field at Comerica Park.The Second Baptist Church once served as "station" for the Underground Railroad.The Detroit People Mover has a station at the Greektown Casino on Beaubien Street between Monroe Street and Lafayette Boulevard. Peter and Paul's Catholic Church, the oldest standing church in Detroit, and the Italian Renaissance style Wayne County Building (which was saved from demolition in the early 1980s).Greek music is also played on Monroe Street throughout the day.Well-known restaurants include The Laikon Cafe, Cyprus Taverna, Pegasus Taverna, and Pizza Papalis. Mary Roman Catholic Church, founded by German immigrants, is located in the heart of the district.Since the traffic circles restoration and expansion, it has emerged as a central gathering spot downtown with a mainstage.Capitol Park itself is a triangular plot of land (now a public park) bounded by Shelby Street, Griswold Street, and State Street.Neighborhood names and boundaries vary in their formality some are well defined and long established, while others are more informal.Further names and boundaries have evolved over time due to development or changes in demographics.This is the historic financial district of Detroit which dates to the 1850s and contains prominent skyscrapers.Ornate skyscrapers in Detroit (including the Guardian Building, the Penobscot Building, and One Woodward Avenue), reflecting two waves of large-scale redevelopment: the first in 1900–1930 and the second in the 1950s and early 1960s.