Some parents could not afford the small fees, and in any case children were often needed to work to earn money.
For some, Sunday School at the church was the only education available to children.
The malt house, which still stands today in a derelict state, was not added until 1851.
In 1813 Charles Lowe, a prosperous miller at Ixworth, leased Pakenham watermill and its 40 acre farm from the Leheu family for £130 pa.
The by-now eight troops of Suffolk Yeomanry originally formed in 1793 were formed into the First Regiment Loyal Suffolk Yeomanry Calvary. At Chedburgh the Marquess of Bristol built a school for Jonathan Cooper, probably a former soldier, to use for his classes.
Other places might rely on the rector or his wife to teach basic literacy.
Bury had its Grammar School, founded in 1551, but there was no way in which a poor family could ever manage to send a child here. In 1814 the Chevington Way was closed off by the Earl of Bristol.
He had obtained an Act of Parliament which allowed this on condition that it was replaced by an alternative route.
Probably this low rental implies that Ridley had paid for the building to be erected, and in effect this was just a site rent.
In addition there were two new cottages for Sir Thomas Cullum's labourers which were not yet occupied.